Probably the first use of a bearing was back when the Egyptians were building the pyramids. They put round logs under the heavy stones so that they could roll them to the building site.
This method is still used today when large, very heavy objects like the Cape Hatters lighthouse need to be moved.
Self aligning ball bearings are suitable for applications where misalignment can arise from errors in mounting or shaft deflection. The steel balls, cage, and inner ring can rotate freely at a certain angle, as it is stated that the bearings have self-aligning features. Accordingly, misalignment of the bearing shaft due to the machining and installation of the shaft and housing will be automatically adjusted.
Self aligning ball bearing is of the double type with a spherical raceway in the outer, Self-aligning ball bearings of series 112 and 113 have an extended inner ring. They are located on the shaft by dowel pins engaging in a slot at one side of the inner ring. If a shaft is supported by pairs of self-aligning ball bearings the slot must be in opposition to each other. The bores of series 112 and 113 bearings are made to j7 limits.
- The self-aligning ball bearing has two rows of balls.
- A common concave sphere raceway in the outer ring.
- The center of whose curvature meets that of the bearing it self, so that the inner ring, balls and cage continue to rotate
- The self-aligning ball bearing with a tapered bore can easily be fit to the shaft with an adapter assembly.
Advantages of Self Aligning Ball Bearings
- Have the lowest friction of all rolling bearings.
- Run cooler even at high speeds.
- Easy mounting and dismounting.
- The permissible operating speed is not dependent on the common criteria like heat generation or cage stability and strength.
Application of Self Aligning Ball Bearings
- Self-aligning ball bearings are used for commercial ground shafting applications.
- Since axial load capacity is limited, self-aligning ball bearings are not suitable for applications with heavy axial loads.
Furthermore, if an adapter is used on the tapered bore of the inner diameter, installation and disassembly are much simpler and for this reason adapters are often used on equipment with drive shafts.